School safety concerns should be reported to our School Resource Officer:
Officer Chris Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (508) 581-1600, ext. 3579
August 19, 2014
Dear SHS Parents & Guardians,
I would like to welcome students and families to the 2014-15 school year. We hope that you all had a restful and pleasant summer. We thought we would take this opportunity to review some items worth reviewing for the coming school year.
1. New Master Schedule – This year we will be starting our new master schedule. Students will be enrolled in eight courses for the year, and will have five classes each day. This schedule allows us to provide more electives and Advanced Placement courses to our students, while at the same time limiting the amount of classes they take each day. More information about our schedule can be found on the high school’s home page under the ‘Guidance’ link.
2. iParent Please see the separate set of instructions included in this packet for directions on how to access iParent. This service will give you 24/7 access to your son/daughter’s grades. A link can be found on the left hand side of the High School’s home page.
3. Attendance Policy – Attendance is critical to student academic success. This year, the high school will be adopting an attendance policy that removes credit for a class if a student has more than 14 unexcused absences. Please see the student handbook for more information.
4. Midterms & Finals – In order to better prepare our students for the types of assessments they will see in college or in post-secondary training programs, the high school will have a renewed focus on the importance of these two exams. Each course will have a midterm and final and combined they will count as 15% of the final grade. We believe that by supporting and encouraging students to perform on these types of assessments we are better preparing them for long-term success.
5. Partnership with Massachusetts Math Science Initiative (MMSI) – We are excited to be partnering with MMSI in an effort to increase the number of Advanced Placement offerings we have available to our students. As a result of this partnership, we have doubled both the number of A.P. courses available to students as well as increasing our A.P. enrollment by over 100%!
6. High School Twitter Accounts – Twitter has become a great way to share information. The High School has Twitter accounts that will update you on school events. @Sutton_HS, @SuttonAthletics, @SuttonGuidance, and @SuttonHighSTUCO are all consistently updated throughout the year – follow us!
Finally, our Open House will be held on Thursday September 18th at 6PM. We look forward to seeing you all then. Please return all of the forms in this packet by Friday September 5th. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us here at the high school.
Looking forward to a great year!
Sutton Memorial High School
383 Boston Road
Sutton, MA 01590
School Hours 7:30-2:00
Expectations for Student Learning
At Sutton Memorial High School, our students become...